Wednesday, July 21, 2010

Jaw Breakers

It all started with a softball hitting me in the mouth and breaking my jaw... actually that's the whole story. I was running from first to second base and this stupid guy chucked the ball to the second baseman (who probably never played softball before in her life) who totally missed the ball and therefore it hit me square in the jaw.  Luckily I caught it coming out of the corner of my eye and flinched and turned my head a little- otherwise I'd probably have a broken nose and who knows what else... I feel like that'd be worse.  Immediately I had my head between my knees and started spitting tons of blood.  Mmm...  Joe took me to the ER and it took forever to see a doctor.  I thought I was being a baby and didn't need to go to the doctor but Joe insisted. They did a CAT Scan of my face and told me I broke my jaw... awesome. So THEN I had to go see an oral surgeon the next morning and he told me I had 2 options: either have surgery and get a plate put in my chin or have my jaw wired shut for 6-8 weeks. Obviously I went the surgery route.  He admitted me to the hospital like 10 minutes later and told me I couldn't eat or drink for the rest of the day... I was not okay with this news but what could I do. 

The doctor informed me the surgery went perfectly. This is a picture of me in the hospital the next morning after the surgery.  My parents came up when they heard I was getting surgery- they think they're so funny bringing me flowers with the "jaw busters" candy in it.  You may not realize it, but I'm actually trying to smile in this pic- I know it's super cute........ ha no. 

It has been almost 2 weeks since the incident and I'm doing a lot better!! No more lortab. It was great at first but after awhile it started making me sick. I still can't eat a lot of things. I have had a lot of ice cream, smoothies, soup, pudding etc.  Now I can have soft foods too.

Joe, being the sweet husband that he is, surprised me with new Victoria Secret sweats since I'd be laying around and hanging out at the apartment for quite awhile. Whoo hoo! Don't ask me what this pose is. 


In this lovely picture I am showing the crazy braces on my gums. They don't feel very good. I have to keep them on for 6 weeks! I also have stitches on the inside of my mouth from left side of my chin all the way to the the back of the right side of my mouth holding my gums together. Crazy. Thanks to everyone for the well wishes, visits, cards, flowers, and prayers.  Special  thanks to Joe for taking care of me and waiting on me hand and foot :)  

3 comments:

  1. Not a fun thing!
    Love you
    Mom

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh, Haven. I am so sorry for this awful incident! I am glad it wasn't worse.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm so glad your feeling a little better!

    ReplyDelete