Sunday, November 29, 2015

A Christ Centered Christmas: The Giving Manger

This week I am excited to do a few posts with some simple ideas that we are doing with our kids to have a Christ centered Christmas. I love doing every Christmas activity I can think of; the gifts, the decor,  the lights, the treats, the family traditions, and everything that comes with the holiday magic. I love spending time with my family, I feel purpose when I am giving and serving those around me, I find peace when I learn about Christ and his life, and there is nothing better than creating memories with those I love.  It is what makes this such a wonderful time of year.  But, I think what really makes it so special, is the feelings of joy and love through out the holiday season.  When I draw nearer to the Savior, it is easy for me to feel that joy and love.  His love is what fills my heart so completely with peace. I want to make sure that I am helping my kids draw closer to our Savior, especially during this Christmas season. What greater gift can we give?

"The season is not about presents, it is about His presence."

I saw a friend post about this cute Giving Manger on Facebook and loved the idea and message behind it.  It comes with a book, a manger, straw, and a baby Jesus.  The book tells the story of a family who decides to give gifts to the Savior by doing service for others all season long.  With each act of service a piece of straw is placed in the manger.  The hope is by Christmas day the manger will be full of hay for the little baby Jesus to lay on. I remember doing something similar growing up and really enjoying it.   My hope is that this will be a sweet family tradition that will help us focus on the true meaning of Christmas and one that we can all look forward to year after year.

After reading the book and setting the wooden manger on a table, we decided our first act of service would be to make and deliver sugar cookies to a friend.  Hayes was my big helper and is already coming up with more ideas for ways we can serve and fill the manger for baby Jesus.



"...when you are in the service of your fellow beings, you are only in the service of your God."
-Mosiah 2:17








You can find the Giving Manger here.

1 comment:

  1. What a beautiful post! Thank you so much for helping us share this tradition! Wishing your sweet family a joyful Christmas season!

    XOXO
    The Giving Manger

    ReplyDelete