Saturday, May 21, 2011

Hayes Joseph Andelin


Hayes Joseph Andelin
Born May 5th, 2011
7 lbs. 8 oz.
20 1/2 inches long

Wow, I have a lot to catch up on! I'll have to do a few posts to get caught up because it seems like so much has happened in 2 weeks! I've been a little busy.. and tired.. I'll start with the "labor story."

LABOR STORY

So my whole labor experience was actually pretty nice! I was scheduled to get induced on the 5th at 5 a.m. Joe and I showed up to the hospital bright and early and got settled in our nice big room. The nurse came in to get an IV in me, which I was actually the most scared for, due to I had to get poked 6 times with my last IV. But, luckily she got it in with one poke and it wasn't too bad. Then she asked when I wanted to get the epidural. My answer? Why not just do it now? :) I figured why feel pain if I don't have to? I know I'm such a girl. So the anesthesiologist came in and gave me the epidural, which also wasn't as bad as I thought. I was so scared to move when he put in that needle, I swear I've never been more perfectly still in my life. After that they started the pitocin to get contractions going. Pretty soon I looked up at the monitor and apparently I was having these major contractions regularly but I couldn't feel a thing. Lovely.

So Joe and I decided to take nap since it was still pretty early in the morning and we had a long day ahead. Rough life I know... The nurse came to check my progress about every hour and after 3 or 4 hours and still only being dilated to a 1 I got the feeling this was going to take awhile. A few more hours passed by and I was finally barely at a 2. My parents had shown up by this time to keep us company and wait for baby Hayes. We mostly just watched t.v. and chatted and slept through out the day. I was soo hungry I might add- I was only allowed to have clear liquids and those popsicles tasted like heaven. It got to be late afternoon and I was preparing myself for a long night with such slow progress. By 5 o'clock the nurse said I was maybe at 4, which was at least some progress so I was happy. After that I started feeling the contractions a little bit and some pressure. After about 30 minutes I told the nurse I was really feeling the contractions and didn't know if my epidural was wearing off or what? So I got the okay to push the "happy button" but it didn't really help. 30 minutes later I told her I was still feeling a lot of pressure so she decided to check again and I was dilated to a 10! From 4 to 10 in an hour!

We waited for the doctor to show up and the anesthesiologist gave me a little top off for the pushing :) When Dr. Judd arrived about 20 minutes later it was time to push! Only it wasn't so big of a deal- I pushed for about 10-15 minutes and... we had our beautiful baby boy! I can't even describe the feeling of holding him for the first time. What a special moment that was for Joe and I. Hayes has brought so much joy and has changed our lives forever. We are so grateful for our healthy little boy. I just love being a mommy!





1 comment:

  1. And you didn't even get to go to Olive Garden...haha. We're so excited for you guys! He's such a cutie!

    ReplyDelete